Thursday, December 6, 2012

On solo caching

I haven't been able to cache for a little while, due to the holidays and work schedule, but I've still been frequenting the forums, checking blogs, and watching YouTube videos about caching.  One thing I've been wondering about is how many people cache solo, vs. how many people cache in groups.

I'm a solo cacher.  Not totally by choice, mind you - I'd be perfectly happy to go caching with a local sometime, but I don't happen to know any of the local cachers.  I've cached with my dad and my father-in-law, and occasionally Emily mentions that she'd like to take a short caching day trip on a weekend (when we have time), but aside from Jack joining me on some weekends, I really just cache by myself.

A lot of what I like about caching is the solitude.  When I first found the Springfield Trail, my favorite part of the discovery was that there was nobody there.  Nobody was in the park on the way to the trail, nobody was on the trail, and I had this whole private nature area to myself.

Now, I know that people go back there. I saw some bike tracks and footprints in the dirt, and the path was pretty clear of leaves and debris, but just having that 20 minutes of privacy was awesome.

There have been plenty of hides where a second set of eyes would be useful, though...  Dunno.  Maybe I'll look for a local event, just to meet some of the people whose Geocaching names have become so familiar.  That would be neat, and for some hides at least, it would be great to combine skills and brainpower and whatnot.

No comments:

Post a Comment