Monday, September 10, 2012

Idea for Travel Bug Hotels

I found my first bug hotel of sorts today - Vikings TB Stash.  This was cache in a large container (ammo can) that is large enough to hold a lot of trackables, and close enough to a busy area to get a lot of traffic.

Most of the caches I've found have been Micro or Nano sized, so I'll keep this one in mind when I need to trade trackables. It's less than a minute off of the Blue Route, so I drive by it almost daily and can easily spend the 5 minutes stopping by, trading trackables, and moving on.

This whole bug hotel thing got me thinking a bit.  I've seen some videos online of some really impressive bug hotels, with multiple bins and room for dozens of trackables.  What if there was a way to hide that in plain sight, and do something neat for the community at the same time?

My idea is to combine a bug hotel with a Little Free Library.  I am a bit of a book nerd, with approximately 1000 books in my numerous bookshelves.  I also love visiting our local libraries, both for the books, and for the information on local history.

Wikimedia Commons image of a Little Free Library in Massachusetts.
Little Free Libraries have been getting a lot of press in the past few months.  Basically, people offer free books to borrow in little containers that are often made to look like little buildings.  There are plans available on the website, and once you create your library you register it to get a steward's kit, and your library is added to the national database.

It would be pretty easy to develop a Little Free Library box that had a second, locked compartment for travel bugs.  It could even be set up as a puzzle or multi cache, with waypoint of the cache giving you either a clue toward a combination lock, or access to a key or something.

This is nothing more than a pipe dream for me at this point - I am only now starting to work on the first caches of my own, and this would take more time and cash than I'm willing to put into it at the moment... but I can't get the idea out of my head, and it's definitely in my "things to do - someday" file.

A related bit of info - Jack's Traveling Purple Dice has disappeared.  I'm not sure if it's gone for good, or simply hasn't been logged, but after checking the cache it was supposedly left in, my father confirmed that it's gone.  Fun stuff.

Cache in this post:

No comments:

Post a Comment