Thursday, November 15, 2012

My third cache is live!

Cache number three is officially live!  Local Movie Locations / Celebrity Stalker Memorial has a new home in what's officially known as Recreation Park, but what everyone actually calls ABC Field.  This cache commemorates the time spent in 2011 filming Silver Linings Playbook in the area. This movie was filmed in and around Ridley, Upper Darby and Lansdowne, among other places.

Google view of ABC Field.  I should try to take a kite aerial photo here.
I learned a few lessons with this cache.  My original site was located near where this picture was taken by my cousin-in-law:

Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence.
Unfortunately, the walkway they are standing on overlooks the local freight rail line, and a cache placed in that area would be in violation of Federal law or something.  I took great care in selecting an area that was safe, but getting local cachers in trouble with the feds would probably diminish this hobby a bit, so I moved it.

I have run into plenty of caches near train tracks, but when I thought about it a bit I realized that those were all near local passenger lines.  I'm not 100% sure that it makes a difference, but it was a no brainer for me to just move this to another park that had previously has no caches in it.

My wife played a huge role in the creation of this cache, as she spent the weeks that they filmed here stalking Bradley Cooper.  She denies it, of course, but if you describe what stalking is without actually using the word "stalking", she totally agrees that that's what she was doing.  I'm not going to argue with her about this one, because deep inside I think she knows that I'm right, and she did stalk him.

The cache container I made for this one is like nothing I've ever seen before.  Internally, it's nothing more than a Bison tube, but it has been crafted into something totally unique.  I had previously run into some waterproofing issues, but quite a few more coats of a few different types of varnish seemed to do the trick, and my location is at least slightly protected from the weather.

All in all I'm happy with how this came out.  It's different than what I've been working on with the Videogame History series, and 98% of it was inspired by my wife's suggestions, but I still enjoyed making it, and I hope that plenty of local cachers enjoy finding it.

Cache in this post:


No comments:

Post a Comment